Isles of Scilly Museum

Shop icon Library icon Study area icon Wheelchair access icon

Following the severe gales in the winter of 1962, Nornour (Eastern Isles) yielded up some remarkable Romano-British finds, causing some St Mary's residents to establish a local museum. After much fundraising and thanks to huge volunteer enthusiasm, the present Museum was built. It opened to the public on July 15th 1967 and received a visit from H.M. Queen Elizabeth II on August 8th 1967.

Our collections are extremely diverse, including material from many wrecks; a wild flower display (during the summer months); Romano-British artefacts; stuffed birds; local art and much more. Thanks to the generosity of local and mainland benefactors, we have received many varied accessions for research and display purposes. We welcome any items of Scillonian provenance or directly relating to the islands.

Venue Type:


Opening hours

April 1000-1200 & 1330-1630
May September 1930-2100
November-February Wed 1400-1600

Collection details

Archaeology, Archives, Natural Sciences, Costume and Textiles, Fine Art, Coins and Medals, Social History, Maritime

Isles of Scilly Museum
Church Street
St Mary's, Isles of Scilly
TR21 0JT




01720 422337


01720 422337

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.