Museum of The Mercian Regiment (Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Collection)

Logo of Museum of the Mercian Regiment, a circle with a ram displayed

Nottingham Castle has been the home of The Sherwood Foresters Museum since 1965, when the Collection had to move on the closure of Normanton Barracks in Derby. In 1970 the Sherwood Foresters amalgamated with the Worcestershire Regiment to form the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters (WFR). Then in 2007 the WFR amalgamated with the Cheshire and Staffordshire Regiments and formed The Mercian Regiment.

The museum gallery explores the history of the The Sherwood Foresters, Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters as well as the more recent Mercian Regiment. In 2012 the museum's name was changed to the Museum of the Mercian Regiment (WFR Collection) to reflect the changes in the British Army.

Derby City Museum and Art Gallery, The Strand, Derby has provided room to display artifacts of predecessor regiments, The Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derbys), the 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment, Derbyshire Militia and Rifle Corps. For further details in respect of opening hours and costs please see Derby Museum's website

We also have Education Boxes for schools which can be loaned out for use in the classroom. To loan a box out just get in touch with Access Artifacts, using the web address

Venue Type:


Opening hours

Please check Nottingham Castle website.

Admission charges

See Nottingham Castle Website

Museum of The Mercian Regiment (Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Collection)
Nottingham Castle Museum




0115 876 1400

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.