Crofton Roman Villa
Crofton Roman Villa is the only villa open to the public in Greater London. It was inhabited from about AD 140 to 400 and was the centre of a large farming estate. Today you can see the remains of 10 rooms protected inside a public viewing building. Remains include tiled (tessellated) floors and the under-floor heating system (hypocaust).
The Villa is managed on behalf of the London Borough of Bromley by Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit.
What's provided at the Villa:
* Short talk by an archaeologist.
* Graphic displays of the excavations and villa.
* A touch table with a selection of Roman finds from the excavation for handling.
* Replica Roman everyday objects including pots, jewellery, lamps and writing tablet.
* Activities for children: Roman games to play, mosaic making and dressing up as a Roman.
* Sales desk including guide book, postcards, souvenirs and books on local archaeology.
* Special activity workshops for schools, two hour sessions (Wed, Thurs, Fri). £3.00 per child. Please contact us to arrange a session.
* Special events for children over the Easter and summer holidays.
* Special guided tours for groups and societies, please book in advance
2nd April - 30th October 2019
Tue & Wed: 10.00-15.30*
Sun (1st in the month only): 14.00-16.30*
Bank Holiday Mon: 10.00-13.00 & 14.00-17.00*
*last entry 3pm Tue, Wed, BH Mon/ 4pm on Sundays
Family Ticket (based on 4): £4.00, each additional child 50p.
Special Activity Workshops for schools: £4.00 per child
There are extra charges for some special events.
Our villa holds some of the finds from Crofton Roman Villa: everyday objects such as samian pot and cooking pot, parts of the house such as roof tiles and tessera pieces and some of the animal bones that would have been on the farm. All of our finds are available to handle: there aren't any glass cases at Crofton Roman Villa. We encourage young and old alike to get involved with archaeology: to touch and feel these finds, and get an understanding for Roman history.
We also have replica objects such as jewellery, Roman games and toys and Roman wax tablets to further develop an understanding of everyday Roman life.
Easter Fun With Pots!
- 10 April 2019 10:30am-3pm
- 17 April 2019 10:30am-3pm
You will be able to handle real Roman pottery nearly 2,000 years old. Then you can make your own clay pot to take home.
Sessions at 10.30am. For up to 11 year olds. No booking needed. Children to be accompanied. Entry £4.00 per child, adult carer free. Parking available off York Rise, Villa is adjacent to Orpington Station.
Phone: 01689 860939
£4.00 per child with adult carer free.
Crofton Roman Villa