Old Parliament House and Owain Glyndŵr Centre

Study area icon

The low, stone built 16th century townhouse known as Old Parliament House on a site in Machynlleth traditionally associated with Owain Glyn Dwr. The adjoining timber framed building on the right was built as the Owain Glyndwr Institute in 1911 by Lord Davies of Llandinam.

This Grade 1 listed building was given to the town of Machynlleth by Lord Davies of Llandinam in February, 1912. Following recent extensive renovation, costing around £250,000, the Centre has now reopened as a National Heritage Centre.

The Centre hosts a new interactive and informative exhibition on the life, times and vision of Owain Glyndŵr - rebel leader, national hero and self appointed prince of Wales at the beginning of the fifteenth century.

Venue Type:

Historic house or home, Museum, Heritage site

Opening hours

The Owain Glyndŵr Centre is open to the public :

10 am to 5pm from 1st March to 30th September
11 am to 4 pm 1st October to 31st December.

It is closed January and February, except by arrangement.
Also closed Sunday and Monday during school term-time.

Admission charges

Adults: £2.50

Children, pensioners and locals £1.00

Parties of over twenty: £30.00


  • Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments

Collection details

Personalities, Weapons and War, Social History

Old Parliament House and Owain Glyndŵr Centre
Old Parliament House
SY20 8EE






01654 702932

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.