Robin Hood's Bay & Fylingdales Museum
Robin Hood's Bay
On 31st July 1891, the building was purchased on a 1000 year lease by Rev. R.J. Cooper, Vicar of Fylingdales Parish. It seems to have been a small cottage built into the upward slope of the land. At his own expense the Vicar had the downstairs room converted into a Coroner’s Room, and a mortuary built against its east wall.
From 1900 it was used as a Reading Room for the people of Bay, yet remaining available for its original purpose. Newspapers and periodicals were provided and books purchased for loan. The Reading Room and Library flourished for many years but eventually closed in 1987.
Earlier, in 1980, a newly formed Museum Trust organised its first temporary exhibition in the Coroner’s Room. Since that time the displays have continued to develop and expand as new artefacts have been donated to the museum.
Open mainly school holidays and half terms except on Saturdays.
Entry free but donations most welcome.