Town Hall Complex
St. Augustine Gate
Hedon Museum was opened in 1996. It is a Registered Charity No. 700809. All the staff are volunteers.
The Museum is situated in a specially built extension behind the 17th century Town Hall in St. Augustine's Gate & approached via Iveson Close car park.The Museum is run by a committee of 12 members of the Hedon Museum Society which meet in the Museum.
Group visits can be arranged & one room is available for hire. Simple refreshments are served & there is a Museum shop.
Wed & Sat 1000-1600
Closed: November 07 1012
Re-open February 06 1013
Visitors have access to the Upstairs Gallery via a stair lift.
Disabled parking is available at ajacent Iveson Close car park.
The Hedon Room- Aspects of the history of the Town displayed, including civic life, trades, inns, education, the church & war memorabilia.The story of Hedon's medieval street names & the growth & decline of the port, once the 11th largest in England. Local archaeoligical small finds.
Upstairs Gallery-exhibitions of paintings,photography, crafts, collections etc. changing throughout the year.
Archaeology, Archives, Social History
Key artists and exhibits
- The Pingsdorf wine pitcher, from the pottery at Pingsdorf in the Rhineland, was excavated in 2001 from a site off Baxtergate in Hedon. A 'marvellous & rare' (British Museum) complete vessel. It dates from the 12th century & is yet more proof of Hedon's continental trade with Europe.