Museum of the Royal Dragoon Guards and the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire
3 Tower Street
Captain (Retd) W A Henshall, Curator
Major N Albury
The Royal Dragoon Guards can trace its ancestry back to 1685, as it was formed by the amalgamation of four of the senior cavalry regiments in the British Army. It recruits mainly in Yorkshire Cheshire and Northern Ireland and its Battle Honours emblazoned on its Standards embody the history of the British Army over 300 years. The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire was also raised, as two Battalions of Infantry in 1685 and were amalgamated in 1958 to their present title. The Museum is well laid out in spacious surroundings and tells the story of the present day and former regiments from the late 17th century. Displays include uniforms, prints, paintings, weapons Regimental Colours and Standards, all housed in well lit, clearly labelled show cases. There is a small gift shop which sells books, ties and a good selection of regimental regalia and memorabilia. There are facilities for disabled access.
25 December Closed
Closed: 22 December 2004 until 25 January 2005 due to annual administration.
£2.00 per Adult
£1.00 per Child or Senior Citizen
Archives, Coins and Medals, Costume and Textiles, Fine Art, Social History, Weapons and War
Key artists and exhibits
- Captain Lawrence Oates who went to the Pole with Captain Scott, Baden-Powell the founder of the Boy Scout Movement and General Sir James York Scarlett the Commander at the Charge of the Heavy Brigade in the Crimean War