Oswestry Transport Museum
01691 671 749
We are the Cambrian Railways Society, based in the Welsh-border market town of Oswestry. Formed in 1972, the group has spent the intervening period gathering an invaluable collection of artefacts from railways in the former Cambrian Railways Company (CR) area, which once covered a vast chunk of mid & north Wales, together with the Shropshire borderland; and ensuring the survival of many more. We have established a registered museum in the last remaining CR goods shed, which dates from the 1860s, and have also transformed Oswestry South Signalbox from a derelict eyesore to a fully functioning educational facility. Work is currently underway to return steam to the Oswestry area - our flagship steam loco 'Oliver Veltom' is under overhaul. The society is also working towards re-opening a section of the famous Tanat Valley Railway from Llynclys Junction to Blodwell, and up the Nantmawr Branch.
The museum is normally open between 1300 - 1600hrs, seven days a week.
However, we rely on a small band of dedicated volunteers, with the result that owing to work committments or ill health, the museum may be closed at short notice. If you are making a dedicated trip, please contact us beforehand on 01691 671749.
Admission to our museum is free.
However, we appreciate donations towards our ever increasing costs. Contrary to popular belief, we do not own our town centre site - we have to pay a considerable sum in rent each month.