The museum was opened in June 1986, and is housed in what were the stables of the King’s Head Inn that was demolished in 1885, although it has had a somewhat chequered history since that time.
In 1988 the building was extended by adding four further rooms in three phases. Two rooms were added in 1991 under phase 1 and thanks to support from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the European Regional Development Fund, phases 2 & 3, two further rooms, were completed in the spring of 2005.
Please note the museum is only opened between April and September.
Please note only opened from April to September
Please see web site.
Archaeology, Archives, Costume and Textiles, Natural Sciences, Medicine, Weapons and War, Coins and Medals, Science and Technology, Social History, Maritime