New Place / Nash's House

Nash's House
baby changing facilities icon Shop icon Library icon Study area icon Wheelchair access icon

Nash's House was named after Thomas Nash, first husband of Shakespeare's grandaughter, and a wealthy local property owner.Today, it is a well preserved Tudor building and the ground floor is furnished as it would have been in Nash's day.

Next door to Nash's House are the foundations of New Place. This was the house bought by William Shakespeare in 1597. By the late 1590s, Shakespeare was an established playwright and had amassed enough wealth to afford a new family home. New Place was the second biggest house in Stratford at the time and it was where Shakespeare lived when he was not in London. He died here in 1616.

Venue Type:

Historic house or home

Opening hours

New Place & Nash's House closed for conservation on 2 November 2014

Nash’s House is a Grade 1 listed building in need of essential conservation work, including structural repairs. It will therefore be closed from 3 November 2014.

Admission charges

N/A

Collection details

Archaeology, Costume and Textiles, Decorative and Applied Art, Fine Art, Personalities, Social History

New Place / Nash's House
Chapel Street
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
CV37 6EP
England

Website

www.shakespeare.org.uk/visit-the-houses/nashs-house-amp-new-place.html

Telephone

01789 204016

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
advertisement