01386 442 348
This 14th Century building was once home to the Almoner of the Benedictine Abbey that was founded at Evesham in the 8th Century.
Following the closure of the Abbey by Henry VIII, the Almonry became the personal home of the last Abbot, Philip Ballard, whilst the rest of the Abbey buildings were sold to Sir Philip Hoby who arranged for the quarrying of the stone.
Today, the Almonry, two churches, bell tower and cloister arch are all that remain of what was reportedly the third largest abbey in England.
The Almonry has had a varied career: ale house, offices, tea rooms, private home, until it was finally purchased by Evesham Borough Council in 1929. In 1957 it opened as a Heritage Centre owned and funded by by the council: the Vale of Evesham Historical Society have acted as honorary custodians since the opening.
Today the Almonry houses a collection that spans the prehistoric to the 20th Century. Displayed over 12 rooms and a garden, the emphasis is on how Evesham has developed and grown during this time. There are exhibitions about the Abbey, the battle of Evesham in 1265, horticulture in the area, Anglo-Saxon burial treasure, 18th Century clothing and the impact of war upon this little market town.
Historic house or home, Sacred space
Monday to Saturday
10.00am till 5.00pm
Sunday (March to October)
2.00pm till 5.00pm
Children Under 11 years old: Free
Seniors (over 60): £2.00
Students (in full time education): £2.00
Groups: Price on application
Archaeology, Archives, Weapons and War, Costume and Textiles, Personalities, Social History