Coleham Pumping Station
The Pumping Station, resembling a Victorian Chapel in style, was built in 1900 to house two massive steam-driven beam engines. The beam engines were built by Renshaws of Stoke to pump sewage as part of Shrewsbury's new sewerage system. The coal-fired pumps were used until 1970.
Ownership of the building and pumps was transferred to Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council in 1974. Shrewsbury Steam Trust was founded in 1992 to restore the steam engines. One boiler was commissioned in 2002 and the second in 2004. 'Steam-up' is now a regular feature of Open Days.
Industrial heritage site
Please call for opening hours.
2009 Open Days 10.00-16.00
April 26th; May 24th; June 28th; July 26th; September 12th and 13th; October 27th.
Closed: Throughout the winter.