The oldest parts of the Castle were built between 1066 and 1074, during the reign of William the Conqueror. There were additions over several centuries. Later, in the late 18th century, Thomas Telford remodelled the interior as a private house. The Castle was acquired by the Corporation of Shrewsbury in 1924 through the generosity of Shropshire Horticultural Society. The Castle houses the spectacular collections of the Shropshire Regimental Museum Trust including pictures, uniforms, medals, weapons and other equipment from the 18th Century to the present day.
The displays include a brief history of the castle through the centuries.
Castle or defences
The Castle has somewhat variable opening hours.
From February 17th to May 23rd it is open 10.30 to 16.00 but closed on Thursdays and Sundays.
From May 24th to September 14th it is open 10.30 to 17.00 but closed on Thursdays.
Sunday opening hours are 10.30 to 16.00.
From September 15th to December 20th it is open 10.30 to 16.00 but closed on Thursdays and Sundays.
The Castle will be closed during the winter period from December 22nd to February 15th to allow for essential maintenance work.
Visitors coming from a long distance are advised to 'phone for up-to-date information.
Children and students: £1
Under 5's and former members of the Shropshire Regiments: free