01286 870 892
The high accident rate amongst workers at the Dinorwig slate quarry led to the construction of a hospital near the quarry. Having a hospital close to the quarry allowed workers to get back to work with minimal delay after receiving treatment. The building dates from 1840 and closed in the 1960 when mining ceased at the quarry. It was one of the first hospitals in the country to have an Xray machine. The hospital is now a museum and has a collection of medical equipment from the 1800s. The xray machine is still there and a ward and an operating theatre have been restored to their original state.
Opening times: Daily during main holiday periods, 11am-5pm (11am-4pm winter). Mainly open weekends only throughout the winter. Phone 01286 870892first to check or arrange opening for group. Cost: £1 adults, 50p children. Quarry Hospital, Llanberis, Gwynedd, LL55 4TY
Science centre, Industrial heritage site
30 September-21 March
Winter By appt only