01633 861 810
Llanyrafon Manor, called Llanyrafon Farm by some, has hugged the banks of the Afon Llywd since the mid 1550's - yet many residents of Cwmbran have no idea that there is such an important building with a diverse heritage right in the middle of their community.
Walter Griffiths is recorded as purchasing the estate in 1616 - and the Griffiths family continued to own the house until 1886 when Florence, the last family member died.
Walter lived at the farm and when he died in 1629 he left £10 to be distributed amongst the poor of the parish of Llanfrechfa. Descendents of Walter worked the land as well as undertaking prestigious roles such as Steward of the Edlogan Manor. There were agreements and disputes with other important families - such as the Morgan's of Tredegar - and even bitter family feuds.
The House and Farm was later owned by Alfred Pilliner and his wife - after living there for just 6 months they built Llanyrafon House which became the Stirrup Cup Club, and later The Commodore Hotel. The farm continued as a busy agricultural concern and there are stories of love and hard work on the land, especially during the 2nd World War when land girls helped out.
Historic house or home
Open daily, 10am until 4pm