Cowbridge and District Museum
Town Hall Cells
Vale Of Glamorgan
When the original Cowbridge prison, erected after the Houses of Parliament granted permission in 1576, was in need of repair a new House of Correction was built on the same site by the East Gate in 1806. This prison was only in use until 1829 when new facilities were built in Swansea.
By this time the medieval Guild Hall situated in the centre of the High Street was restricting transport through this busy market town so it was decided to demolish it and the Burgesses purchased, by public subscription, the House of Correction to use as the Town Hall in 1830.
Today it is the administrative offices of the Town Council, the two main halls are used by the community and the original cells of the House of Correction contain the Cowbridge Museum which is open to the public.
This historic building still retains many interesting features. The Mayor’s Parlour contains the well which was used to supply male prisoners with water. The Council Chamber has a facsimile of the 1421 Charter, an oil painting of the Cowbridge Seal used from 1762 to 1887, a copy of the Grant of Arms of 1888 and boards listing past Mayors, Town Clerks and Honorary Freemen.
1st Sat in Month