Cefn Coed Colliery Museum
Blaenant Colliery Site
Neath & Port Talbot
Located near the village of Crynant in the Dulais Valley five miles north of Neath, Cefn Coed Colliery Museum tells the story of coal mining at Cefn Coed pit, once the deepest anthracite coal mine in the world. Cefn Coed was one of the most dangerous coalmines in Wales, gaining the nickname ‘The Slaughterhouse’.
The story of the thousands of men who worked at Cefn Coed and at other pits in the anthracite coalmines of South West Wales is told through words, pictures and artefacts throughout the museum.
The museum is home to a preserved 1927 Worsley Mesnes Horizontal Duplex Cylinder Steam Winding engine, arguably the jewel in the museum’s crown. Once powered by steam when the site was a working colliery this magnificent winder is now turned over by electricity, however its majesty never fails to impress enthusiasts the world over.
Cefn Coed museum is also host to the Neath Historical Model Railway Club. The club’s dedication and commitment is evident from the constantly evolving layout celebrating the age of steam in the Dulais Valley.
Museum, Industrial heritage site
Daily April - October 10.30-17.00
Last admission to the museum 16.30.
Accessibility: Most of the site is accessible to disabled visitors. Disabled toilets on site and Guide Dogs welcome.