Somerset Cricket Museum

Somerset Cricket Museum
7 Priory Avenue
Taunton
Somerset
TA1 1XX
England

Website

Telephone

01823 275893

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.

The building known as the "Priory Barn" has had many alterations and additions throughout its long history. The major portion of the structure can be interpreted as work of the late 15th or early 16th centuries. Since the Dissolution in the reign of Henry VIII, after which monastic buildings throughout the land were almost completely demolished, it was only in 2004 that the exact location of the Priory was discovered during work on foundations for a new block of flats. It is widely thought that the Museum building was a gate house or some sort of lodging house for the Priory which was sited two hundred yards to the south.

Venue Type:

Museum

Opening hours

Easter-31 October
Mon-Fri 1000-1800
Sat-Closed Sun
Closed Bank holidays unless match on

Additional info

The Museum is within walking distance of the main Rail and Bus stations.

Entrance through Priory Bridge Road to cricket ground. Also pedestrian entrance only in Priory Avenue.

Note - during first class matches entrance is only available to spectators. Museum opens one hour before start of play and closes after tea.

Collection details

Social History

advertisement