The name Yelde Hall is an old form of Guidhall, and it is probable that there was an administrative building of some sort in Chippenham from the time of the town's founding. The existing building appears to have been in use at the time of Queen Mary's Charter to the town in May 1554, since that document referred to 'a certain Hall or House within the Borough called the Yelde Hall'. An earlier hall may well have occupied the site, and a small part of the current building is thought to date back to the early to mid 14th century. The Hall's position in the Market Place and the Shambles led to it becoming surrounded by shops and stalls from the later 16th century. The last of these shops, a hairdresser's and an auctioneer's, were demolished in 1960.
Following the reloaction of the Tourist Information Centre in 2012 the Hall once more became part of the Town Museum .
Historic house or home
16 March-31 October
1000-1230 & 1400-1630