No 1 Royal Crescent
No 1 Royal Crescent
c/o 1 Royal Crescent
No.1 Royal Crescent is a magnificently restored Georgian town house that creates a wonderfully vital picture of life in Georgian Bath.
Built between 1767 – 1774 to the designs of the architect John Wood the Younger, the Royal Crescent is justly considered one of the finest achievements of 18th century urban architecture and represents the highest point of Palladian architecture in Bath. No.1 was the first house to be built in the Crescent and originally provided luxury accommodation for the aristocratic visitors who came to take the waters and enjoy the social season.
Nowadays No.1 provides visitors to the Crescent with an opportunity to look beyond the famous Palladian façade and see what life was like for the wealthy in 18th century Bath. Each room is an exquisite example of Georgian interior design with authentic furniture, paintings, textiles and carpets.
The superbly appointed Dining Room is set for dessert. Pipes and port are laid out for an evening of cards in the comfortable Gentleman’s Study. Upstairs you can see the elegant Drawing Room, where fashionable visitors took tea, or slip into a delightfully feminine bedroom. Below stairs is a splendidly equipped, bustling Georgian Kitchen. Guides in every room bring the house to life with stories of the past.
Historic house or home, Garden, parklands or rural site, Heritage site
Last entry 1630
November closes at 1600
Last entry 1530
Closed 12 December - Mid February
see website for details
- 9 May — 8 November 2015
A collection of historic dolls’ houses and miniature furniture made in the 1700s and 1800s, which have never before been on public display.
These amazing objects are part of the private collection of Liza Antrim and will be on display for the first time. This is a rare opportunity to engage a wide range of people with the heritage of childhood and will reveal a fascinating social history of the period.
Ten dolls’ houses are on show in the Brownsword Gallery and within the rooms of No. 1 itself, an authentic Georgian townhouse revealing life above and below stairs nearly 250 years ago. The Small Worlds exhibition includes a dolls’ house made in Bristol for the children of local chocolate maker Francis Fry in c1840 (“The Fry House”). The oldest dolls’ house “Bellamy’s House” was made c1762 and shows little evidence of having been played with. Displays of miniature furniture, textiles and dolls are displayed alongside information about who made these items and how they have survived.
- Family friendly
Normal admission charges apply.