Alexander Keiller Museum

baby changing facilities icon Food icon Shop icon Library icon Study area icon Visual disability facilities icon Wheelchair access icon

Details the history of the stone circle at Avebury, particularly in regard to the archaeological excavations that have taken place there. Founded in 1938, the museum lies just outside the largest stone circle in the British Isles, at Avebury henge. The main displays are in a small 17th century stables and an associatated permanent exhibition occupies a nearby 17th century thatched threshing barn. The museum's founder, Alexander Keiller, excavated parts of the henge monument and associated avenue of standing stones in the 1930s and re-erected many fallen and buried stones.

Venue Type:


Opening hours

April-October: Daily 1000-1800
November-March: Daily 1000-1600

Closed: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Admission charges

Adults £4.20
Concession £2.10
English Heritage Members: Free


  • English Heritage
  • Museums Association
  • National Trust

The collection is primarily archaeological and mainly of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age date, with a smaller component of Anglo-Saxon and later material. It includes a large excavation archive from excavations in the 1920s and 1930s. A rare early 20th century motor car is also displayed: a Sizaire Berwick which belonged to Alexander Keiller and the collection includes much Keiller correspondence. The museum library houses an extensive collection of archaeological publications and is open by appointment.

Collection details

Archaeology, Social History

Alexander Keiller Museum
High Street
nr Marlborough



01672 529203


01672 539494

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.