Shaw's Corner - National Trust

Shaw's Corner - National Trust
Ayot St Lawrence
Welwyn
Hertfordshire
AL6 9BX
England

Website

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/shaws-corner

E-mail

shawscorner@nationaltrust.org.uk

Telephone

01438 820307

Fax

01438 820307

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
View of the South Front of Shaw's Corner, Ayot St Lawrence, Hertfordshire, former home of George Bernard Shaw.
Food icon Visual disability facilities icon

An Edwardian villa, the home of George Bernard Shaw from 1906 till his death in 1950.

A large red-brick detached house, Shaw's Corner was built in 1902 as the New Rectory for Ayot St Lawrence. Shaw summed it up: "A twelfth-century village where the last thing of real importance that had happened was perhaps the Flood".

The rooms remain much as he left them, with many literary and personal effects and many touches evoking the individuality and genius of this great dramatist. The garden has richly planted borders and views over the Hertfordshire countryside.

Built by local architects and using local materials, it has some lovely Arts and Crafts details, particularly in the brick work round the windows and other features such as hearts in the banisters.

Venue Type:

Historic house or home, Garden, parklands or rural site

Opening hours

Please check the National Trust website before visiting.

Admission charges

See website for details.

Collection details

Personalities

Key artists and exhibits

  • George Bernard Shaw
advertisement