Bishop's Waltham Palace (English Heritage)
Bishop's Waltham Palace
01962 854 766
The ruins of a medieval palace (together with later additions) used by the Bishops and senior clergy of Winchester as they travelled through their diocese. Winchester was the richest diocese in England, and its properties were grandiose and extravagantly appointed.
Much of what can be seen today is the work of William Wykeham, who was bishop from 1367. The ground floor of the farmhouse is occupied by the Bishop's Waltham Town Museum. Other palaces of the Bishops of Winchester include Farnham Castle Keep and Wolvesey Castle (Old Bishop's Palace).
Castle or defences, Archaeological site
1 May - 30 September 2012
Grounds are open daily 10:00-17:00
Saturday and Sunday 14:00 - 16:00