Beccles & District Museum
Leman House was probably built in about 1570 and was completely restored and modernised in the 1760s. Originally it was a timber frame structure, much of which disappeared when the brick facades were added. What remains shows minimal decoration, but shows the classic features of a mid to late 16th Century building, including a series of fine Queen Post roof trusses.
But in the 1760s the delightful facade facing the street was built of flint and brick, and pantiles were substituted for the previous thatched roof. It was also at this time that the Gothic shaped windows were introduced.
When Sir John Leman gave the building to the town in his will in 1631 it was already a school. The payment of the master and usher came from lands he gave at the same time outside Beccles for their support.
From the begining of April until the end of October, 2.15pm to 5.00pm daily except Mondays, when the museum is closed.
Open on Bank Holidays during these months
Entry is free.
The museum is a charity and funding for the several thousand pound rent and running costs is obtained from grants, donations, friends' fund raising and sales of books and shop items. All donations are gratefully received.
Archaeology, Natural Sciences, Costume and Textiles, Medicine, Weapons and War, Archives, Social History