Whittlesey Museum, housed on the ground floor of the 19th Century Town Hall in Market Street, was opened in 1976.
The Costumes Room was once used to house the town's horse drawn fire engine. Other rooms in the museum are formed from what was once the brick floored caretaker's cottage. They lend themselves to static displays such as our current scene of a Village Post Office set in the 1950's. Other displays include brick-making, toys from the turn of the century, local archaeological finds, information on local commemoratives and Sir Harry Smith.
Outside in the museum's courtyard can be found a forge and wheelwright's bench, wash day artefacts and agricultural tools. A life size model of the Straw Bear and an extensive collection of old photographs displaying Whittlesey scenes from the past can also be found.
Fri Sun 14.30-16.30
Archaeology, Archives, Costume and Textiles, Natural Sciences, Weapons and War, Coins and Medals, Personalities, Science and Technology, Social History, Land Transport