Royal Military Police Museum
The RMP Museum
023 9228 4372
Since the 1950s, wherever the RMP have undertaken their training, a collection of historic artefacts has also been housed. Using the past to instil both a shared ethos and pride in the Military Police was, and still is, one of the roles of the Museum.
Inkerman Barracks in Woking was the first home of a "Corps Museum". The earliest exhibits were donated in 1958, and relate to the struggle for independence in Palestine. It was, however, when the Depot and Training Establishment moved to Roussillon Barracks in Chichester in 1964, that the Museum became a more prominent and permanent feature. At this time the Museum was open only to Service Personnel and RMPA members, and the exhibits were often used as training aids.
In 1979, the establishment of the Museum was formalised by a Trust Deed (one of the founding Trustees was the astronomer Patrick Moore OBE). In 1985, after an extensive refurbishment of the Keep, General James Glover opened the RMP Museum to members of the public. During its tenure at Chichester, the Museum was awarded phase 1 & 2 Registered Museum status.
In 2007, the Museum once more moved to the home of RMP training - this time at Southwick Park. The new displays, designed by the National Army Museum, were formally opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the Colonel in Chief, RMP on 7th June 2007.
The RMP Museum is now housed "behind the wire" at the Defence College of Police and Guarding (DCPG). As a result, visits are strictly by appointment only. Once booked in for a visit, you will need to bring photo proof of identity (driving license, RMPA Card etc).
Visits by appointment only.