March & District Museum
The March and District Museum Society was established, initially as an Historical Society, by a group of prominent March people in 1972. Since 1977 it has been located in the former South District Infants School in the High Street, which was originally built in 1851 and is a Grade II listed building.
Set up as a local folk museum, there are a number of displays showing the life and times of the late 19th and early 20th Centuries and ongoing to the present day.
Room arrangements represent a kitchen, parlour and nursery bedroom while the outside exhibits include a reconstructed working forge, a Fenland cottage and privy.
We are open on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10.30 to 15.30 all year except over the Christmas and New Year period.
Groups are welcome at other times.
A range of exhibits reflects the importance of the railway to the town and includes the medals awarded to Benjamin Gimbert following the train explosion at Soham in June 1944.
The Standard flag, or Guidon, of The Doddington and Hamlets Yeomanry, made in 1798, is also exhibited as is the Communion Plate originally presented to ‘The Parishioners of March’ in 1752.
Other displays include items from the home, tools from a number of crafts of the town, clothing, cameras and radios from yesteryear and a range of war memorabilia.
A wide range of local history documents, including Local Council Rate Books and parish registers, are available for those involved serious research of their family or local history.
Archaeology, Archives, Coins and Medals, Land Transport, Social History