Wardown Park Museum
Wardown Park Museum
Old Bedford Road
Luton Museum Service
Reception/Front of House
The museum is situated in a beautiful landscaped park and contributes to its charm by telling the story of Luton and its people such as the hat production and car industry, through displays,objects and old photographs. Home of the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire regiment museum and the many changing exhibitions.There is free parking at the museum and good disabled access including a lift to the first floor. A small tearoom serves drinks and snacks, and the museum shop sells souvenirs, local history publications and photographs.
except Bank Holiday Mondays)
New Years Day
Donations are welcome to support Wardown Park Museum's work.*Please note charges apply for certain days, activities, workshops and taught sessions.
There is free parking at the museum and good disabled access (including a lift to the first floor). A small tearoom serves drinks and snacks. The museum shop sells souvenirs, local history publications and old photographs.
For Teachers and schools:
The Museum's Schools Service runs a varied schools programme with sessions to complement the national curriculum using both the galleries and artefacts for handling. Please contact us if you would like more information or would like to arrange a school visit.
The first floor galleries opened as the Luton Life displays in February 2003. Funded with the assistance of the Heritage Lottery Fund, the displays explore the stories of Luton people over the past 150 years. Throughout the galleries there are listening posts where visitors can listen to Lutonians telling their stories. There are also hands-on exhibits and touchscreen computers with images of old Luton.
The ground floor galleries include the Ancient Greeks exhibition and the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire gallery tells the story of this local regiment. The ground floor also houses the exhibition gallery. The museum holds around 4 temporary exhibitions a year on different subjects. There are also events and activities for all ages and interests throughout the year.
Weapons and War, Toys and Hobbies, Social History, Decorative and Applied Art, Costume and Textiles, Coins and Medals, Archives
Key artists and exhibits
- Ancient Greeks
- Beds & Herts Regiment
For Baby With Love
- 22 July — 30 November 2014 *on now
Amongst the beauty, come and find out the sad story behind two caps on display.
- Any age
Luton’s World War 1 Stories
- 5 August 2014 — 4 January 2015 *on now
Commemorating the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War, this exhibition looks at how one of the deadliest conflicts in human history affected the town.
Find out Wardown Park’s history as a World war 1 hospital, read stories about how ordinary Lutonian’s were affected by the war, and enjoy a rare chance to see many precious and rare objects donated by the community and discovered deep in the museum stores.
- Any age
- 30 September — 26 October 2014 *on now
A multi-sensory exhibition with projected footage of shellshock sufferers from WW1, a soundscape will run in conjunction with the images with readings of war diaries found in Luton, as well as original composition. This exhibition contains sensitive material and may not be suitable for all.
- 4 October 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 11 October 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 18 October 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 25 October 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 1 November 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 8 November 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 15 November 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 22 November 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 29 November 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 6 December 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 13 December 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 20 December 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 27 December 2014 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 3 January 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 10 January 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 17 January 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 24 January 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 31 January 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 7 February 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 14 February 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 21 February 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 28 February 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 7 March 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 14 March 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 21 March 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
- 28 March 2015 11am-1pm, 2-4pm
Visitors will be able to get up close and hands on with a range of weird and wonderful objects from the museum’s many and varied collections. Each week the museum will be searching its stores and bringing out objects for people to see and handle, many of which have never been on display.
- Any age