This fascinating and unique museum gives you the opportunity to meet the famous woolly mammoth, the elegant towering giraffe and other wonderful curiosities from the natural world.
Open Tuesday to Saturday 10am-5pm
Please check our website for Christmas opening dates.
Disabled access, baby changing facilities and gift shop.
Includes Natural history, geology, archaeology, local history and ethnography galleries
Archaeology, Architecture, Archives, Coins and Medals, Costume and Textiles, Decorative and Applied Art, Industry, Land Transport, Music, Natural Sciences, Science and Technology, Social History, Trade and Commerce, Weapons and War, World Cultures
Key artists and exhibits
- Ogilvie Bird collection; anglo-saxon archaeology; roman archaeology; Victorian taxidermy; Rowland Ward taxidermy; Sikh heritage; Maharajah Duleep Singh; African heritage; geology; red crag fossils; coralline crag fossils; Norwich crag fossils; coprolite; Egyptian archaeology; Giraffe; Rhinoceros; Gorillas; Du Chaillu; Ice Age fossils; Woolly Mammoth
Mini Mammoths: Anglo-Saxon Treasures
- 5 July 2016 10:15-11:15am
Discover our collections through play, stories, and craft activities designed to encourage development and curiosity about the world around us. Booking required.
£2 per child
After Dark in the Museum: Rendlesham
- 21 July 2016 7-9pm
Join us for an artist-led drawing tour of the museum to celebrate our new display of materials from the Anglo-Saxon palace at Rendlesham. Booking required.
£6 per person
- 26 July 2016 10:30-11:30am, 1-2pm, 2:30-3:30pm
- 2 August 2016 10:30-11:30am, 1-2pm, 2:30-3:30pm
- 9 August 2016 10:30-11:30am, 1-2pm, 2:30-3:30pm
- 16 August 2016 10:30-11:30am, 1-2pm, 2:30-3:30pm
- 23 August 2016 10:30-11:30am, 1-2pm, 2:30-3:30pm
- 30 August 2016 10:30-11:30am, 1-2pm, 2:30-3:30pm
Starting during the Festival of Archaeology and continuing throughout the summer enjoy Anglo-Saxon themed workshops every Tuesday at 10.30-11.30am, 1-2pm and 2.30-3.30pm, booking required.
Tuesday 26 July
Using our Anglo-Saxon treasures for inspiration, create your own medal or brooch –personalise your creation with beads, jewels and buttons.
Tuesday 2 August
No Anglo-Saxon warrior was complete without their own armour. So join us to create your own cardboard armour or helmet.
Tuesday 9 August
Short on pocket money? Join us to design and make your own money in this workshop with the chance to handle some real Anglo-Saxon coins.
Tuesday 16 August
Discover traditional Anglo-Saxon medicines in this multi-sensory workshop and discover cures to all manner of ailments.
Tuesday 23 August:
Practice your warping and wefting as you weave your own miniature creation just as the Anglo-Saxons did.
Tuesday 30 August
Be inspired by Anglo-Saxon symbols and rituals in this willow weaving workshop.
£3 per child
Show and Tell
- 10 August 2016 10am-3pm
Have you ever found something interesting and wondered what it might be? Whatever your treasures bring them along to our Show and Tell Day to discover more!
- Any age
Pop My Mind Takeover
- 25 August 2016 7-9pm
Ipswich-based ground breaking arts platform Pop My Mind are taking over the museum for one night, come along and see what they have planned.