Hastings Old Town Hall Museum of Local History

Hastings Old Town Hall Museum of Local History
Shop icon Library icon Study area icon Wheelchair access icon

The Old Town Hall Museum provides an introduction to the history of the Old Town of Hastings. The Museum reopened in 1999 following a major refurbishment project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The building is now fully accessible, and contains a wealth of historic exhibits, interactive models and reconstructions.

The displays take the form of a walk back in time, covering all the key moments in the Old Town's history including the clearances of the 1930s, the rise of the Victorian resort, the town as a Napoleonic garrison, the notorious fraudster Titus Oates, the role of the Cinque Ports as well as the fires, floods and raids of the Middle Ages. An audio tour is available.

The Old Town Hall was built in 1823, replacing an 18th century building on the same site. It has been a Museum since 1949.

Venue Type:


Opening hours

01/01/2015 - 31/03/2015, Fri - Sun, 1000-1600
01/04/2015 - 31/10/2015, Tue - Fri, 1000-1700, Sat, Sun, 1130-1700
01/11/2015 - 31/12/2015, daily, 1000-1600.

Admission charges

Admission free.

Collection details

Archaeology, Costume and Textiles, Fine Art, Personalities, Archives, Social History, Land Transport, Maritime

Hastings Old Town Hall Museum of Local History
High Street
Old Town
East Sussex
TN34 3EW




01424 781166


01424 781165

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.