Henfield Museum

Henfield Museum
Henfield Hall
Cooper's Way
High Street
Henfield
West Sussex
BN5 9DB
England

Website

www.henfield.gov.uk/museum.htm

E-mail

office@henfield.gov.uk

Telephone

01273 492507

Fax

01273 494898

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Study area icon Wheelchair access icon

The museum is owned and run by Henfield Parish Council. It began in a small way in 1948 gaining its first permanent site when the new village hall was built in 1974. The present building was opened in 1994.

The objects exhibited range from early fossils and flint implements, through the Medieval and Tudor era to the Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods. Household objects from these times recall Henfield in the past. There are many farm tools on display with a horse-drawn plough together with a mid-Victorian pump outside.

Uniforms of the Sussex Rifle Volunteers Regiment take pride of place, not only because they belonged to prominent Henfield members, but also because they were made by Longley Bros. outfitters, close to the museum in Henfield High Street. Dresses from a more leisurely time show how Henfield ladies dressed in the last century.

There is an extensive collection of local paintings and photographs showing the village, churches, farmhouses, country houses, cottages and rural lanes.

A penny farthing bicycle made in 1887 by Mr. W. A. Powell who had a workshop in the High Street has a prime position in the Museum. Nearby is a one man ambulance purchased by the Parish Council in 1908 and in use until the 1930s. Railway relics remind us of the Horsham to Shoreham Railway closed in 1966.

Venue Type:

Museum

Opening hours

Mon Tues Thurs Fri 1000-1200
Wed 1430-1630 Sat 1000-1200 and 1430-1600
Closed Christmas week & bank holidays

Closed: Sundays and Bank Holiday and Bank Holiday weekends

Admission charges

none

The objects exhibited range from early fossils and flint implements, through the Medieval and Tudor era to the Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods. Household objects from these times recall Henfield in the past. There are many farm tools on display with a horse-drawn plough together with a mid-Victorian pump outside. Uniforms of the Sussex Rifle Volunteers Regiment take pride of place, not only because they belonged to prominent Henfield members, but also because they were made by Longley Bros. outfitters, close to the museum in Henfield High Street. Dresses from a more leisurely time show how Henfield ladies dressed in the last century and Bishop Wilberforce waistcoat would be coveted today. There is an extensive collection of local paintings and photographs showing the village, churches, farmhouses, country houses, cottages and rural lanes. A "penny farthing" bicycle made in 1887 by Mr. W. A. Powell who had a workshop in the High Street has a prime position in the Museum. Nearby is a one man ambulance purchased by the Parish Council in 1908 and in use until the 1930's. Railway relics remind us of the Horsham to Shoreham Railway closed in 1966. The Millennium map was officially unveiled on 21st June 2001 and can be seen in the Henfield Hall.

Collection details

Agriculture, Archaeology, Archives, Costume and Textiles, Fine Art, Medicine, Natural Sciences, Social History

Key artists and exhibits

  • Henry Bysshop, Postmaster General from 1660 to 1663
  • William Borrer, Botanist
  • The Cat House, Henfield
  • Henfield Railway Station
advertisement