Enquiries and bookings
Kelmscott Manor is a grade 1 listed Tudor farmhouse adjacent to the River Thames, dating from about 1600 and situated on the edge of the village of Kelmscott, near Lechlade.
William Morris (designer, writer and socialist) chose it as his summer home, signing a joint lease with Pre-Raphaelite painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti in 1871. Morris loved the house as a work of true craftsmanship, unspoilt, unaltered, and in harmony with the village and the surrounding countryside.
Visitors can enjoy much the same atmosphere now, around the house, barns, garden and stream. The house contains a collection of the possessions and works of Morris, his family and associates including furniture, textiles, pictures and ceramics. The site has a shop and licensed restaurant.
Kelmscott Manor is owned and managed by the Society of Antiquaries of London.
Historic house or home, Museum
4 April - 31 October.
GENERAL PUBLIC OPENING.
House and garden:
Every Wed & Sat (except 14 July), 11.00-17.00.
Ticket office opens 10.30. Last admission to house 16.30.
The house has limited capacity.
Admission to the Manor is by timed ticket.
Visits on general public open days are not bookable in advance.
Thurs throughout the season.
Advance bookings only. Introductory talks and tours. Minimum group charge. Please contact us for full details. Now taking bookings for the 2013 season.
SCHOOL STUDY DAYS.
Mondays during the season. Special school rates apply. Please phone or email for a Teachers' pack.
Closed: November to March.
GENERAL PUBLIC OPEN DAYS
Manor & gardens:
Students (in full-time education, with a valid student card): £4.50.
Children (8-16 years): £4.50.
Children under 8 years: Free.
One carer accompanying a disabled person: Free.
Historic Houses Association members (with card): Free.
Manor & gardens - admission by Gift Aid donation:
Students (in full-time education, with a valid student card): £5.00.
Children (8-16 years): £5.00.
Students & Children: Free.
Car park is approx. 10 minutes' walk from the manor; drop-off point at Manor gates; blue badge parking on site. Wheelchair access to gardens, shop, restaurant and ground floor of the manor. There is an adapted toilet. A wheelchair is available. 'Access album' available for reference by visitors unable to gain access to upper floors.
The house contains an outstanding collection of the possessions and work of William Morris, his family and associates, including furniture, original textiles, carpets, books, paintings and ceramics. The house and other buildings reflect the site's historic use as a farm. A permanent exhibition illustrates the Morris family association with the Manor and village.
Please note that Dante Gabriel Rossetti's 'The Blue Silk Dress' is on loan from Kelmscott Manor to the Musee D'Orsay in Paris, returning early June 2011.
Agriculture, Costume and Textiles, Decorative and Applied Art, Personalities
Key artists and exhibits
- William Morris. Jane Morris. May Morris. Dante Gabriel Rossetti. Philip Webb. Edward Burne Jones. W. A. S. Benson.