Orleans House Gallery
Orleans House Gallery
020 8831 6000
020 8744 0501
Orleans House Gallery is the principal visual arts venue for the London borough of Richmond upon Thames and the home of the council's thriving arts service. We provide arts for everyone, including exhibitions in three venues, a diverse range of festivals, special events for families and education provision for all ages and needs.
Orleans House Gallery stages six free exhibitions a year, ranging from historical to contemporary and also displays works from the Richmond Borough Art Collection. The original house was the former home of exiled French King Louis Philippe between 1815-17. The Gibbs-designed Octagon Room, built for first owner James Johnston in 1720, still survives as an outstanding example of baroque architecture. The site is situated in six acres of parkland and woodland overlooking the River Thames.
The buildings and site were sensitively refurbished between 2005-2008 by architects Patel Taylor. There is a now a Coach House Education Centre, refurbished Stables Gallery, free heritage display and North Stables cafe in converted 19th century stables.
The gallery was shortlisted for the prestigious Art Fund Prize in 2009.
For a brochure or to join our free mailing list, please call 020 8831 6000 or visit www.richmond.gov.uk/arts
Museum, Gallery, Historic house or home, Garden, parklands or rural site, Artist studio or collective
1 April-30 September
Open Bank holidays
1 October-31 March Close 1630
Please call gallery for Christmas opening times
Closed every Monday
Christmas Eve - Boxing Day
New Year's Day
For other holiday opening hours, please call the gallery on 020 8831 6000.
Free Admission to Orleans House Gallery, Octagon Room, Stables Gallery and North Stables Hertiage Display.
Wheelchair access to the entire Coach House and Stables areas. Access to Octagon Room and Orleans House Gallery lower floor. No wheelchair access to mezzanine level.
Orleans House Gallery looks after the prestigious Richmond Borough Art Collection. The collection of over 2,700 paintings, watercolours, drawings, prints, photographs and objects primarily comprises local topographical views of the Twickenham and Richmond riverside, dating from the late eighteenth century to the present day.
The core of the collection, comprising almost 467 works, was founded on the death of Mrs Nellie Ionides in 1962. Since then, the Ionides Collection has been expanded by subsequent gifts, purchases and bequests, notably the Paton Collection of 1,200 works left to the gallery in 1994 and the Gill Collection of 61 local views gifted in 2001. The gallery also houses works and personal effects relating to the nineteenth century explorer Sir Richard Burton, who is buried in nearby Mortlake.
Works from the collection are regularly incorporated into the exhibition programme and are featured in the changing In Focus and cafe displays. Works from the collection are alos on loan to the Museum of Richmond and Old Town Hall.
Researchers are welcome to view works from the collection by prior appointment. Please address all corresondence and queries to the curator Mark De Novellis - firstname.lastname@example.org.
A catalogue of highlights from the Richmond Borough Art Collection and Orleans House: A Histroy are available from the gallery shop - tel: 020 8831 6000.
Photography, Personalities, Fine Art, Costume and Textiles, Archives
Key artists and exhibits
- The collection is strong on 18th and 19th century English topographical views. Highlights include an early from from Richmond Hill by Leonard Knyff and the earliest surviving view of the Twickenham riverside by Peter Tillemans. Other eighteenth century artists include Samuel Scott, Thomas Rowlandson, Pieter Andreas Rysbrack and landscapes by William Marlow. Nineteenth century artists include Richmond painter George Hilditch, Henry Pether, Jean Baptiste Camille Corot and Frederick Leighton. Recent additions include work by the autistic artists Stephen Wiltshire and David Downes.
Reclaiming Rose: Rose Dempster Bonnor
- 1 February — 27 April 2014 *on now
Rose Dempster Bonnor was a single, independent and highly acclaimed portrait painter. She lived in Richmond from 1910 to 1967 working from a studio in East Sheen.
Rose attracted commissions from patrons throughout the UK, yet despite having exhibited widely, her work is little known today. This exhibition represents a step towards reclaiming Rose’s reputation.
- Any age
Museums at Night: After Hours at Orleans House Gallery
- 16 May 2014 6-9pm
Join us for a special late night opening of Orleans House Gallery on Friday 16 May as part of Musuems at Night. We'll be opening both our gallery spaces between 6pm - 9pm as well as our on site cafe and there will be special performances throughout the evening, including a dance piece choreographed by Rosie Whitney-Fish.
- Any age
- Family friendly
For information on forthcoming events at Orleans House Gallery, please call 020 8831 6000. Activities to look out for are our free drop in Sunday Fundays (suitable for the under 5s) and artist-led exhibition based holiday activities for 5-10 year olds.