Dunkeld Cathedral Chapter House Museum

Dunkeld Cathedral Chapter House Museum
Dunkeld Cathedral
Dunkeld
Perth & Kinross
PH8 0AW
Scotland

Website

www.dunkeldcathedral.org.uk/

E-mail

art@dunkeldcathedral.org.uk

Telephone

01350 727 249

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Shop icon Library icon Study area icon Wheelchair access icon

The Cathedral Chapter House was built in 1457, and served as a sacristy and meeting place for 100 years. After the Reformation, when the Dukes of Atholl became responsible for the upkeep of the church they used the Chapter House as their Mausoleum and it still contains some magnificent monuments and memorials. The Atholl coat of arms is mounted above the entrance door and former members of the family lie buried in an under floor vault.

The present museum, which was refurbished by the Friends of Dunkeld Cathedral in 1994, is a permanent local history exhibition telling the history of the town and the redevelopment of the reformed church. Mention is made of the connection with the Atholl Family and also notable local people; Niel Gow, the fiddler, Sir Donald Currie the benefactor and Beatrice Potter, the children’s author who spent summer holidays in Dunkeld and wrote the Story of Peter Rabbit there.

Venue Type:

Museum

Opening hours

The Chapter House Museum is open except when services are taking place

April-September
9.30am – 6.30pm

October-March
9.30am – 4.00pm

Admission charges

Free

Collection details

Archives, Personalities, Social History

advertisement