University of Edinburgh, Anatomy Museum
Department of Anatomy
University Medical School
0131 242 9300
The Anatomical Museum, founded and developed by the Monro dynasty, flourished under Sir William Turner, Professor of Anatomy from 1867 to 1903, and Principal of the University from 1903 to 1917. Turner had broad interests in evolution and comparative anatomy and built up the impressive collections displayed.
The splendid museum hall was at the heart of the new Medical School designed by the architect Robert Rowand Anderson. It opened with great ceremony in 1884.
In the 1950s, the three storey museum hall was reduced to a single upper storey which still survives as museum.
OPen days throughout the year. Please see museum website for more details
Free, donations welcome.