St Cecilia's Hall Museum of Instruments at the University of Edinburgh
St Cecilia's Hall
0131 650 2805
0131 650 2812
The Raymond Russell Collection of Early Keyboard Instruments was assembled by Raymond Russell (1922-1964) and given to the University by his mother, Mrs Gilbert Russell, in 1964 after his death. The University has added further instruments, and the Rodger Mirrey Collection of Early Keyboard Instruments was donated in 2005.
On display are some 50 of the world's most important and best-preserved early keyboard instruments: harpsichords, virginals, spinets, organs and fortepianos from the period of their first construction to around 1840, many in playing order, and a new display of harps, lutes, citterns and guitars. The auditorium at St Cecilia's Hall which dates from 1763 is the oldest concert hall in Scotland, and the second oldest in Britain.