Royal Scots Regimental Museum

The Royal Scots Museum
Shop icon

The Museum is situated in Edinburgh Castle. It is a private one and, as we do not receive any part of the admission charge to the Castle, it is financially dependent on voluntary contributions. Admission is free and all visitors are welcome.

The refurbished museum was opened by The Colonel-in-Chief, HRH The Princess Royal, on 27th June, 1991. The story of the Regiment is told in chronological order on pictorial wall panels supported by maps, display cases, tableaux and dioramas. The medal collection is too large to be openly displayed and therefore only a selection is on view. The remainder is mounted in drawers which can be opened on request. Also to be seen are collections of silver, sets of drums and old colours. Other interesting features of the Museum are the descriptions given of contemporary life in the Army and the overhead panels which show significant national and world events of the relevant period.

On entering the Museum after being introduced to the Regiment by a modern piper, the visitor is immediately taken back over three hundred years to the raising of the Regiment by Sir John Hepburn in 1633. There follows an account of the Regiment's activities up to the present day.

Venue Type:


Opening hours

Monday - Sunday 9.30 to 4.45 during the Summer

9.30 to 3.45 during the Winter

Please note that timings may have to be changed without notice

Admission charges

Admission is free but voluntary donations are welcome.

Collection details

Weapons and War

Royal Scots Regimental Museum
The Castle




0131 310 5015

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.