Colzium Museum

Colzium Museum
Colzium House
Colzium-Lennox Estate
Kilsyth
North Lanarkshire
G65 0PY
Scotland

Website

www.northlan.gov.uk/leisure+and+tourism/museums+and+heritage/colzium+estate+museum/index.html

Telephone

01236 735077

Fax

01236 781407

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.

Colzium House Museum is situated within the historic mansion house for the Colzium Lennox estate, to the east end of the town of Kilsyth on the A803 Stirling Road. The house was once the seat of the Edmonstone family but became the property of the Burgh of Kilsyth after the Second World War. Built in 1783, it was substantially enlarged in 1861. Much of the original building was pulled down in the late 1940s, due to dry rot, but the Victorian frontage and wings survive to form the house we see today.

The museum comprises a single room on the second floor of the house, converted out of the former chapel. Displays relate to the heritage of the surrounding area and include objects from the nearby castles of Colzium and Kilsyth as well as photographs and artefacts from the domestic and industrial settings of the locality.

The Colzium estate is rich in history and is open throughout the year. Features of the estate include the excavated remains of a 15th Century L-plan tower house, once the seat of the Livingstons of Linlithgow but demolished in 1703. Nearby is a traditional Scottish ice-house c.1680 which has been restored and is open for public inspection. Also on the estate is a fine walled garden with numerous interesting shrubs and trees. During working hours Parks staff are normally on hand to discuss the plants and respond to queries.

Other local historic features include the site of Kilsyth Castle, to the west of Colzium House by Allanfauld Road. Another 15th Century tower house, it survived until 1650 when it was attacked and burnt by Cromwell's troops as they advanced North. The remains provided the district with a free quarry for many years. Some carved stonework is now in Colzium House museum.

To the east of the estate are Banton Loch and the village of Banton, with its historic Swan Inn. The area formed the site of the 17th Century Battle of Kilsyth and was latterly known for its Victorian brickworks, samples of which are in the museum.

Venue Type:

Museum

Opening hours

Colzium House is not normally open to the public, unless by prior appointment, but it can be booked for weddings, conferences and private parties. As part of the house, the museum room can be opened on these occasions for guests to visit. For access when the house is closed, prior arrangements would have to be made through the museums service.

Collection details

Archaeology, Archives, Coins and Medals, Costume and Textiles, Decorative and Applied Art, Fine Art, Natural Sciences, Social History, Weapons and War, World Cultures

advertisement