Pollok Country Park
2060 Pollokshaws Road
0844 493 2202
0844 493 2202
Pollok House is the ancestral home of the Maxwell family. The present house dates from around 1750 and contains one of the finest collections of Spanish art in the United Kingdom together with furniture and furnishings appropriate to an Edwardian country house.
Set within Pollok Country Park, also home to the Burrell Collection, Pollok House's surroundings are a delight to stroll in, perhaps after enjoying a wonderful lunch or afternoon tea in the Edwardian Kitchen Restaurant.
A visit to Pollok House offers a snapshot of life in a country house, yet only minutes away from the city.
Historic house or home, Heritage site, Museum, Garden, parklands or rural site
Daily from 10am-5pm. (last entry 4.30pm)
Closed: 25th & 26th December
1st & 2nd January
April-October £6 for adults £4 for children (for further access charges please check our website).
November-March FREE (special events during these months may incur access charges please check our website)
The majority of the property is accessible to wheelchair users. Entrance for disabled persons is in the lower courtyard to the right of the front door. There are disabled parking spaces both in the lower courtyard and at the main door.
The house's beautifully kept gardens, including a collection of over 1,000 species of rhododendrons, are also open to the public. Running through them is the White Cart river, spanned by a bridge built in 1757. Sir William Stirling Maxwell (1818-1878) collected most of the paintings which you can see on display in the house. He became an authority on the art and history of Spain, and published the first reference work in English on the subject. The collection includes works by El Greco (the famous Lady in a Fur Wrap) and Goya, as well as works by the English poet and artist William Blake. Throughout the house paintings were hung formally to complement the proportions and decoration of the interiors. This can be seen in the way the series of Dutch 18th century hunting scenes are incorporated through the use of moulded plaster frames in the Billiard Room.
Sir William's other interests ranged from printmaking to armorial bearings and emblem books, and there are displays of furniture, ceramics, glass and silver. In 1966, the current Pollok House was gifted by Mrs Anne Maxwell Macdonald to the City of Glasgow, along with its art collection and 361 acres of surrounding parkland. Although the house is open to the public, it is still used as a family home. In 1998, management of Pollok House was transferred by mutual agreement from Glasgow City Council to the National Trust for Scotland.
Architecture, Decorative and Applied Art, Fine Art, Religion, Social History