Douglas Heritage Museum
01555 851 243
The Museum was originally a chapel named after St. Sophia. It is believed Mary Queen of Scot’s spent the night here, and to show her gratitude she gifted the village with the oldest working clock in Scotland in 1565.
In 1706 the building was reconstructed to become the Parish School, a century later it was used as a Poor’s House offering shelter to vagrants, and it remained as such until 1961 when it was restored as an Episcopal Church. On 10th December 1978 H R H Prince Charles visited the Chapel and signed the visitor’s book.
Numbers attending the church began to decline and in 1993 The Douglas Heritage Society, due to the generosity of the Douglas-Home family, was granted a long term lease of the building and it was transformed into the present Douglas Heritage Museum.
There are six very beautiful stained glass windows in the chancel, these were designed by Christopher Whall and were transferred from Douglas Castle Chapel when it was demolished.
From the 1st Saturday in April until the last Sunday in September
Saturdays and Sundays
2pm to 5pm
Visits may be arranged at other times by special arrangement.