Dollar Museum

Dollar Museum
Castle Campbell Hall
High Street
Dollar
Clackmannan
FK14 7AY
Scotland

Website

www.home.btconnect.com/dollarmuseum/

E-mail

dollarmuseum@btconnect.com

Telephone

0159 742 895

Fax

01259 742 895

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Shop icon Library icon Study area icon Wheelchair access icon

Dollar Museum is an independent local museum dedicated to the history and heritage of the village of Dollar, in the county of Clackmannanshire, Scotland. Set up in 1988, it occupies two floors of an early 19th century woollen mill (now called the Castle Campbell Hall), and has a wide-ranging Collection illustrating all aspects of the history of Dollar.

You may see a neolithic carved stone ball and a piece of bone from a Bronze Age Dollar person, learn about the Battle of Dollar in 877 and read how Robert Burns fell in love with Peggy Chalmers at Harviestoun and visited Castle Campbell, look at photos of Scotland's finest Japanese Garden and see a model of Lavinia Malcolm, the first Lady Provost in Scotland. The story is told of John McNabb, the boy who left Dollar without the fare to cross the Forth by ferry and who made his fortune at sea, the fortune which founded Dollar Academy in 1818. And the cream of the Collection: the photos taken by Peter Wilson of the Devon Valley Railway, which ran from Alloa to Kinross. We also usually mount three temporary exhibitions each year.

Visit the comfortable and well-lit reading room and browse through books of photographs of old Dollar - people, events, places and scenery. Learn about the 'Dollar Foundling', John Dollar, 'Barburously' abandoned in 1742. You will also find maps and much other research and archive material. Children will enjoy a visit to Granny's Kitchen. They may also draw in the children's corner, try out a gird and gain a certificate by completing a quiz.

Venue Type:

Museum

Opening hours

Opening Times

The Museum is open from Easter to Christmas at the following times:

Saturdays: 11am to 1pm, 2pm to 4.30pm
Sundays: 2pm to 4.30pm
or by arrangement with the Curator (see Research page)

Admission charges

Free

Collection details

Archives, Social History, Land Transport

advertisement