In its heyday, the Smiddy was at the centre of the village social life. On long summer evenings, the smith worked late and folk came to watch the work and have a crack; games of quoits were played (throwing horse shoes at a marker post) and even boxing matches were sometimes held.
The 18th century Smiddy is a treasure trove of old tools and agricultural and metal working artefacts. There are over 300 individual horseshoes, many uniquely customised by the incumbent blacksmiths over the years.
There are all sorts of interesting tools and jigs: an 1884 drilling machine, a belt-driven mechanical saw, a lathe and an early electrical welding machine. A foot-driven grinding stone and a huge cast iron disc, used in fitting metal tyres (girds) to wooden cart wheels, can be seen in front of the Smiddy.
The present Smiddy cottage building dates from early Victorian times, though remains of a much earlier structure can be seen in the rear walls. A major restoration project started in 2004 to create exhibition and office space within the cottage as we see it today. The but ‘n’ ben was probably built in the 17th century.
At present there are 13 organic allotments in use by villagers, as well as a paddock, an orchard, and areas for walking.
Agricultural site, Industrial heritage site
Mornings April-October by appt
Suggested donation of £2.00 for adults and £1.00 for children.
0131 663 8118
0131 663 8118