Castle of St John

Castle of St John
Charlotte Street
Stranraer
Dumfries
DG9 7JP
Scotland

Website

www.dumgal.gov.uk/dumgal/MiniWeb.aspx?id=180&menuid=2805&openid=2802

Telephone

01776 705544

Fax

01776 705835

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Shop icon Study area icon

The Castle of St John is a medieval tower house in the centre of Stranraer. It was built around 1500 by the Adairs of Kilhilt, one of the most powerful families in Wigtownshire.

Over the centuries the Castle has been used as a home, a local court, a military garrison and a prison. Videos and reconstructions are used to tell the story of the medieval landowners who built and lived in the Castle; the Government troops who used the Castle as their headquarters during the "Killing Times" in the 1680’s; and the criminals and debtors imprisoned in the Castle during the 19th century.

There is an activity room for families and children. The Castle is in the centre of Stranraer and within walking distance of the ferry terminal.

Venue Type:

Castle or defences

Opening hours

Easter-September
Mon-Sat
1000-1300 1400-1700

Admission charges

Admission free

Collection details

Law and Order

advertisement