Brechin Town House Museum

Brechin Town House Museum
28 High Street
Brechin
Angus
DD9 6ER
Scotland

Website

www.angus.gov.uk/history/museums/brechin/

E-mail

brechin.museum@angus.gov.uk

Telephone

01307 461460

01356 625536

Fax

01307 462590

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Study area icon

The museum is located within the old Town House in the centre of Brechin. A Tollbooth was first mentioned on this site in 1450 but was replaced in 1789-90 by the present building. At that time the ground floor contained a shop, a courtroom, a debtors’ prison and two cells for criminals. An elegant upper hall, known as the Guild Hall was also used as the Council Chamber. By the end of the 19th century it was considered too small for Council business and the administrative functions of the burgh were relocated to newly completed Municipal Buildings in Bank Street.

The Brechin Museum Collection was first gathered together by Brechin Town Council and in 1846 became housed in the nearby Mechanics Institute. The collection relocated to Brechin Library in 1976 and since 2003 has been located in the ground floor of the present building.

Venue Type:

Museum

Opening hours

10am-5pm Monday-Saturday until end of September 2010, then winter opening hours

Although not at present on display some of the most significant items in the collection of the Brechin Town House Museum are:

Brechin Town Drum - This venerable drum bears the Brechin Town Arms with the inscription “Sig: cibatis de Brechin”, (symbol of the City of Brechin). It would have been used by the town drummer to mark out special occasions and other civic events.

Highland Bagpipes - This set of highland pipes probably dates from the second half of the 18th century. The drones and chanter are of laburnam wood with rings of walrus ivory.

Jacobite Sporran - Owned by David Mitchell of Lethnot, a sergeant in the rebel army and probably worn at Culloden.

Jet Necklace - Jet necklace from a short cist found at Mains of Melgund in 1980 and dated to around 1800 BC. Necklaces like this were a sign of affluence in the Bronze Age and a number have been found in the Brechin and Forfar area.

Flintlock Pistol - A fine steel eighteenth century flintlock pistol by James MacKenzie of Brechin, manufactured from the time when Scottish pistol making was at its height.

Collection details

Weapons and War, Social History, Science and Technology, Personalities, Fine Art, Decorative and Applied Art, Costume and Textiles, Coins and Medals, Archives, Archaeology

advertisement