Grundy Art Gallery
The Grundy Art Gallery is a beautiful art venue situated in the centre of Blackpool. Its stunning architecture hosts an extensive programme of temporary exhibitions including historical, modern and contemporary art, featuring established and emerging artists, as well as displays from its permanent collection.
Blackpool Council commissioned the building of the Grundy Art Gallery in 1908 following a bequest of thirty-three artworks and a financial gift from brothers John and Cuthbert Grundy; the latter referred to at the time as: 'A leader of the artistic, literary and scientific life of the town'. The building, along with its adjoining neighbour the Central Public Library, was designed by architects Cullen, Lockhead and Brown and opened on 26th October 1911.
A purchase fund for new artworks was set up in 1912, and by the late 1930s the collection and general ambition had outgrown the original building. An extension of two extra galleries was built and opened in 1938. The collection now contains close to two thousand objects. These include Victorian oils and watercolours, modern British paintings, contemporary prints, jewellery and video, oriental ivories, ceramics, and photographs of historic Blackpool. Dame Laura Knight, Lucy Kemp-Welch, Eric Ravilious, Augustus John, Charles Spencelayh, Martin Creed, Craigie Aitchison and Gilbert and George are amongst the artists whose work is represented.
Exhibitions featuring works from the gallery's collection are organised throughout the year.
Special Lightpool (Sept-November 2015) opening hours:
Tues-Thurs: 10.00 -17.00
Fri - Sat: 10.00 - 19.00
Usual opening hours:
Mon - Sat 10.00-17.00
Open on Bank Holidays during exhibitions from May to September.
The Grundy Art Gallery's Collection, which is currently displayed as part of the temporary exhibitions programme and is not on permanent display, includes Victorian oils and watercolours, modern British paintings, oriental ivories, ceramics, photographs and souvenirs of Blackpool, and contemporary prints, jewellery, sculpture and video. There are a number of significant British artists represented in the painting collection.. The most popular and requested painting in the Collection is Charles Spencelayh’s 'The Laughing Parson'. Spencelayh was a founder member of the Royal Society of Miniature Painters and painted a postage-stamp-sized portrait of George V for Queen Mary’s celebrated Doll House. 'The Laughing Parson' is one of two works by Spencelayh in the Grundy Collection. The Grundy Art Gallery is a longstanding member of the Contemporary Art Society and the majority of its important modern works have been acquired through this association.
The Gallery has recently begun more actively collecting again with generous support from The Art Fund and the John Ellerman Foundation and has a focus on light based art.
Archaeology, Archives, Coins and Medals, Decorative and Applied Art, Fine Art, Social History
Key artists and exhibits
- Laura Knight
- David Roberts
- Charles S. Ricketts
- Craigie Aitchison
- Anna Airy
- Frederick William Elwell
- Augustus Edwin John
- Stanhope Alexander Forbes
- Martin Creed
- Paul Nash
- Eric Ravilious
Grundy Art Gallery