Border & King's Own Royal Border Regiment Museum
Queen Mary's Tower
The Museum founded in 1932 is located in Queen Mary's Tower a 16th Century building in Carlisle Castle. This superb medieval fortress founded in 1092, houses the military barracks of the Border Regiment's Depot, the Regiment's home since 1873. The Museum tells the story of Cumbria's County Infantry Regiment, The Border Regiment, King's Own Royal Border Regiment and Duke of Lancaster's Regiment from 1702 to the present; displays, exhibitions, shop, education service and archive.
1 April - End September
Daily 0930 - 1700
October - March 1000 - 1600
Closed 24-26 Dec & 1 January
included in Carlisle Castle entry fee for details contact English Heritage.
Includes a wide range of uniforms, equipment, badges and insignia, firearms, artillery and edged weapons, personal items, silver, china, musical instruments, medals including those of six of the Border Regiment's Victoria Cross winners, pictures and paintings, and a large archive of photographs, and documents relating to Regular, Volunteer, Militia, Territorial and Home Guard units of the Regiment and other military units from Cumbria. Archive and items not on display can be viewed by prior arrangement.
Archives, Coins and Medals, Costume and Textiles, Decorative and Applied Art, Film and Media, Fine Art, Land Transport, Music, Personalities, Photography, Science and Technology, Social History, Weapons and War
Key artists and exhibits
- From 1702 to the present day, First War Exhibition and displays from Arnhem (1944) and The Burma Campaign of the Second World War.
- New Book, The History of the Kings Own Royal Border Regiment by Stuart Eastwood contact museum for details