Astley Cheetham Art Gallery
This small gallery is home to the Astley Cheetham Art Collection. Selections from the collection are displayed twice a year alongside a programme of temporary exhibitions of North west Artists
The Gallery is open on selected Saturdays throughout the year (see website for details)
Built as a gift to the town of Stalybridge by John Frederick Cheetham in 1901, the gallery orginally opened as a lecture theatre. Cheetham bequeathed his collection of paintings to the town in 1932 and the space became an art gallery. The collection includes Italian paintings from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries and works by British artists such as David Cox and Burne-Jones. The collection has grown through gifts of twentieth century works from the Contemporary Arts Society and the National Art Collections Fund. It also includes works by renowned local artists such as Harry Rutherford.
Decorative and Applied Art, Fine Art
Key artists and exhibits
- Master of the Strauss : Madonna c1390
- David Cox: A Road by a Common c1850
- Edward Burne-Jones: St Nicolas c1880, Head of a Princess c1880
- Marcus Gheerhardts: Portrait of a Lady c1625
- Duncan Grant: The Harbour, Kings Lynn, 1932
- George Frederick Watts: Sir Perceval c1880
- 17 February — 17 March 2018 *on now
PEOPLE’S choices are at the heart of a special exhibition at the Astley Cheetham Art Gallery in Stalybridge.
The paintings, which all come from the Tameside Council collection, are divided into five categories - Renaissance masterpieces, animal art, portraits, landscapes and still Life - and each includes a people’s choice: a work selected by members of the public in an online survey.
Many of the works on display could be termed hidden gems and are being exhibited for the first time in several years.
The paintings include “Goldfish and Horse” by BR Swinnerton who was a member of the East London Group. This was a society of mainly working-class artists best known for their depictions of deserted East End streets. However, they also produced portraits and depictions of domestic interiors. Swinnerton worked in a piano factory and painted in his spare time.
“Goldfish and Horse” was displayed at the group’s first annual exhibition at London’s Whitechapel Gallery in 1928.
The portraits section features “The Maid Servant” by William Arthur Breakspeare (1881). In an interesting departure from Victorian convention, Breakspeare is showing that beauty is not bound by class.
Breakspeare studied in Paris and was a founding member of the Birmingham Art Circle in 1879.
“Holy Family with St Anne and St John”, attributed to Giulio Romano (1499-1546), is one of the Tameside collection’s masterpieces. It was acquired by the Cheetham family on their overseas travels in the 19th century. Like their fellow Victorian entrepreneurs, the Cheethams collected artworks that could demonstrate their knowledge of history and culture.
Romano was a painter and architect who studied under Raphael in the early 16th century. Another version of this painting hangs in the Louvre in Paris.
- Any age
Astley Cheetham Art Gallery
0161 338 6767
0161 303 8289