Museum of the Royal Irish Regiment
The Royal Irish Regiment
St Patrick's Barracks
028 2566 1383
The Royal Irish Regiment is the last Irish Infantry Regiment. Born at midnight on 1st July 1992, the history of the Regiment dates back to 1689 when the ‘Inniskillingers’ were raised at the castle in Enniskillen.
Our visitor will set out on a journey through time, starting at the Watergate and finally arriving in war-torn Bosnia and the streets of Northern Ireland.
See and hear from Sgt Masterson capturing the French ‘Cuckoo’ at the Battle of Barossa. Major Francis McCrory writes home after the Battle of the Somme and, overhead, the Royal Ulster Rifles head towards the Normandy Beaches by sea and air. On towards the Korean War and the end of the British Empire. Through post-war service in Europe and on to the streets of Northern Ireland where women have now joined the fight for peace.
Interactive touch screens and multimedia presentations are used to tell our story.
Wed, Sat 14.00-17.00 or by prior appointment
Closed: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sun