The former Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioner’s Office, built in 1882, was officially opened on 18 May 1995 as the Harbour Museum. It is a listed (Grade B) building. Situated beside the Guildhall, the building operates as the headquarters of the Heritage and Museum Service of Derry City Council.
Respecting the Victorian architecture and décor of the building, the Harbour Museum has been designed as a ‘glass case’ museum. An eclectic collection of objects is on display showing the city’s maritime connections from architectural drawings, early maps and plans of the city to archaeological finds. The centrepiece of the Museum is the 30 ft ‘Iona Curragh’, used in 1963 by a group of clerics to replicate the journey undertaken by St. Colmcille to Iona in 563 AD.
The former boardroom of the Commissioners, located on the second floor, is often used for temporary and travelling exhibitions.
Mon-Fri 1000-1300 & 1400-1700
Archaeology, Archives, Weapons and War, Natural Sciences, Costume and Textiles, Decorative and Applied Art, World Cultures, Fine Art, Personalities, Social History, Land Transport, Maritime