Anker's House Museum
St Mary and St Cuthbert's Church
0191 388 3295
The Anker's House adjoining the Parish Church was the residence of an Anker/Anchorite - a religious recluse from the 14th to the 16th century and was probably established sometime around 1350 - 1380. Up until 1547 it was the residence of six anchorites who in turn were walled up in the house for life to spend their time in prayer and comtemplation. After the Reformation, the anchorites disappeared and their dwelling became an almshouse.
By appt only